A character’s 5e class and race will clearly explain the character’s background on how they live within the DND world. Generally, the background will add numerous flavors to your characters within the gameplay. There are numerous DND 5E backgrounds available to utilize during the game. Each one will provide your character’s life with a general description to start your adventuring lifestyle. If you’re a fighter who may be plundering merchant vessels and as well as live sailing across the high seas.
As an ascetic sage or a wizard, who returns to the civilization to see their dreams by graving the catastrophe? Depending on your character’s identity, you can select your favorite background to showcase the important story cues. Each background within the DND 5E chapter will offer roleplaying suggestions and concrete benefits like languages, proficiencies, and features.
- 1 DND 5E Backgrounds List
- 1.1 Guild Artisan
- 1.2 Haunted One
- 1.3 Inheritor
- 1.4 Spy
- 1.5 Outlander
- 1.6 Knight
- 1.7 Hermit
- 1.8 Soldier
- 1.9 Acolyte
- 1.10 Entertainer
- 1.11 DND 5E Backgrounds Importance
- 1.12 Customizing DND 5E Background
DND 5E Backgrounds List
|Acolyte||Any x2||PHB||127||None||Insight (WIS), Religion (INT)|
|Anthropologist||Any x2||ToA||191||None||Insight (WIS), Religion (INT)|
|Archaeologist||Any x1||ToA||192||Choose 1:|
cartographer's tools, navigator's tools
|History (INT), Survival (WIS)|
|Black Fist Double Agent||None||CoS (AL)||2||Disguise kit, and choose 1: artisan's tools x1 , gaming set x1||Deception (CHA), insight (WIS)|
|Caravan Specialist||Any x1||EE (AL)||2||Vehicles (land)||Animal handling (WIS), survival (WIS)|
|charlatan||None||PHB||128||Disguise kit, forgery kit||Deception (CHA), sleight of hand (DEX)|
|City Watch||Any x2||SCAG||145||None||Athletics (STR), insight (WIS)|
|Clan crafter||Any x1||SCAG||145||tools x1||History (INT), insight (WIS)|
|Cloistered Scholar||Any x2||SCAG||146||None||History (INT), and choose 1: arcana (INT), nature (INT), religion (INT)|
|Cormanthor Refugee||Elvish||RoD (AL)||5||Artisan's tools x1||Nature (INT), survival (WIS)|
|Courtier||Any x2||SCAG||146||None||Insight (WIS), persuasion (CHA)|
|Criminal||None||PHB||129||Gaming set x1, thieves' tools||Deception (CHA), stealth (DEX)|
|Dissenter||Special (See page)||PS:A||11||Special (See page)||Special (See page)|
|Dragon Casualty||Draconic||CoS (AL)||3||Special (See page)||Intimidation (CHA), survival (WIS)|
|Earthspur Miner||Dwarvish, Undercommon||EE (AL)||3||None||Athletics (STR), survival (WIS)|
|Entertainer||None||PHB||130||Disguise kit, musical instrument x1||Acrobatics (DEX), performance (CHA)|
|Faction Agent||Any x2||SCAG||147||None||Insight (WIS), and choose 1: special (See page)|
|Far Traveler||Any x1||SCAG||148||Choose 1: musical instrument x1, gaming set x1||Insight (WIS), perception (WIS)|
|Folk Hero||None||PHB||131||Artisan's tools x1, vehicles (land)||Animal handling (WIS), survival (WIS)|
|Gate Urchin||None||RoD (AL)||6||Musical instrument x1, thieves' tools||Deception (CHA), sleight of hand (DEX)|
|Gladiator||None||PHB||130||Disguise kit, unusual weapon x1||Acrobatics (DEX), performance (CHA)|
|Guild Artisa||Any x1||PHB||132||Artisan's tools x1||Insight (WIS), persuasion (CHA)|
|Guild Merchant||Any x1||PHB||132||Navigator's tools||Insight (WIS), persuasion (CHA)|
|Harborfolk||None||EE (AL)||4||Gaming set x1, vehicles (water)||Athletics (STR), sleight of hand (DEX)|
|Haunted One||Exotic x1||CoS||209||None||Choose 2: Arcana (INT), investigation (INT), religion (INT), survival (WIS)|
|Hermit||Any x1||PHB||134||Herbalism kit||Medicine (WIS), religion (INT)|
|Hillsfar Merchant||None||RoD (AL)||7||Vehicles (land), vehicles (water)||Insight (WIS), persuasion (CHA)|
|Hillsfar Smuggler||Any x1||RoD (AL)||8||Forgery kit||Perception (WIS), stealth (DEX)|
|House Agent||None||WGE||Special (See page)||Investigation (INT), persuasion (CHA)|
|Inheritor||None||SCAG||150||Gaming set x1, musical instrument x1||Survival (WIS), and choose 1: arcana (INT), history (INT), religion (INT)|
|Initiate||None||PS:A||8||Gaming set x1, vehicles (land)||Athletics (STR), intimidation (CHA)|
|Inquisitor||None||PS:In||12||Artisan's tools x1,thieves' tools||Investigation (INT), religion (INT)|
|Investigator||Any x2||SCAG||145||None||Insight (WIS), investigation (INT)|
|Iron Route Bandit||None||CoS (AL)||5||Gaming set x1, vehicles (land)||Animal handling (WIS), stealth (DEX)|
|Knight||Any x1||PHB||135||Gaming set x1||History (INT), persuasion (CHA)|
|Knight of the Order||Any x1||SCAG||151||Choose 1: musical instrument x1||Persuasion (CHA), and choose 1: special (See page)|
|Mercenary Veteran||None||SCAG||152||Gaming set x1 , vehicles (land)||Athletics (STR), persuasion (CHA)|
|Mulmaster Aristocrat||None||EE (AL)||5||Artisan's tools x1, musical instrument x1||Deception (CHA), performance (CHA)|
|Noble||Any x1||PHB||135||Gaming set x1||History (INT), persuasion (CHA)|
|outlander||Any x1||PHB||136||Musical instrument x1||Athletics (STR), survival (WIS)|
|Phlan Insurgent||None||CoS (AL)||6||Artisan's tools x1, vehicles (land)||Stealth (DEX), survival (WIS)|
|Phlan Refugee||Any x1||EE (AL)||6||Artisan's tools x1||Athletics (STR), insight (WIS)|
|Pirate||None||PHB||139||Navigator's tools, vehicles (water)||Athletics (STR), perception (WIS)|
|Sage||Any x2||PHB||137||None||Arcana (INT), history (INT)|
|Sailor||None||PHB||139||Navigator's tools, vehicles (water)||Athletics (STR), perception (WIS)|
|Secret Identity||None||RoD (AL)||9||Disguise kit, forgery kit||Deception (CHA), stealth (DEX)|
|Shade Fanatic||Netherese||RoD (AL)||10||Forgery kit||Deception (CHA), intimidation (CHA)|
|Soldier||None||PHB||140||Gaming set x1, vehicles (land)||Athletics (STR), intimidation (CHA)|
|Spy||None||PHB||129||Gaming set x1, thieves' tools||Deception (CHA), stealth (DEX)|
|Stojanow Prisoner||None||CoS (AL)||8||Gaming set x1, thieves' tools||Deception (CHA), perception (WIS)|
|Ticklebelly Nomad||Giant||CoS (AL)||9||Herbalism kit||Animal handling (WIS), nature (INT)|
|Trade Sheriff||Elvish||RoD (AL)||11||Thieves' tools||Investigation (INT), persuasion (CHA)|
|Urban Bounty Hunter||None||SCAG||153||Choose 2: gaming set x1,musical instrument x1 , thieves' tools||Choose 2: deception (CHA), insight (WIS), persuasion (CHA), stealth (DEX)|
|Urchin||None||PHB||141||Disguise kit, thieves' tools||Sleight of hand (DEX), stealth (DEX)|
|Uthgardt Tribe Member||Any x1||SCAG||153||Choose 1: artisan's tools x1, musical instrument x1||Athletics (STR), survival (WIS)|
|Vizier||None||PS:A||10||Artisan's tools x1, musical instrument x1||History (INT), religion (INT)|
|Waterdhavian Noble||Any x1||SCAG||154||Choose 1:gaming set x1, musical instrument x1||History (INT), persuasion (CHA)|
An artisan’s guild is very skillful in any specific field to establish a part within the mercantile world. Due to this, the team members will pay for the food and lodging if necessary. It is important to access the available guild hall for making more coins, meeting the potential allies, and patrons. For maintaining the guild membership, it is essential to pay dues around 5 GP/month. You must utilize any of the artisan tools types and proficient in Persuasion and Insight. Users can learn any other additional language apart from their races’ common language.
Importance of Guild Artisan
- Proficiency of the Guild Artisan within the Insight can allow users to select as a Wizard Proficiency.
- Guild Artisans are more popular for their craft and also an expert on skills.
- These wizards are also well-known because of their spell-casting feature
- Wizards are the common classes to utilize a Guild Artisan background for enchanting objects
Something will haunt and not possible to vanquish using a sword or a spell. You have to be done with a reminder and constant presence. Commoners can view your’re facing through their eyes using the Heart of Darkness feature. With the unspeakable things, they can assist you with their possible fear. If you prove that you are in danger then they will help you in the fighting. The proficiency of this background will include other options like Survival, Religion, Investigation, or Arcana. You can learn any other additional language apart from their races’ common language.
Importance of Haunted One
- Proficiency from the Haunted One will allow you to choose the skills like Religion, Investigation, and Arcana as Warlock proficiencies.
- Heart of Darkness will always rely on the idea of horrific and dark. Depending on the Warlock interpretation, they can consider choosing the available warlock patrons.
- Warlocks can utilize the outside entity to get their magic. When compared with the Haunted One situation, you can gain your life’s constant presence.
Some importance in your life will be entrusted by you to provide great value to someone. Inheritance’s history and details are provided by the DM (Dungeon Master) as it is often life-changing. This background’s skill proficiencies are Religion, Arcana, and History. Users must be proficient with at least one musical instrument or gaming set type. Apart from the common language, they can easily choose one additional language to learn.
Importance of Inheritor
- Proficiency from the Inheritor will allow you to choose the skills like Religion and Arcana as Sorcerer proficiencies.
- Inheritance is commonly known as life-changing and assists mages while discovering their powers.
- Sorcerers should utilize their available bloodline for getting their magic.
- Inheritor background will technically depend on the objects’ inheritance and use the same powers.
Players can secretly gather the target information by hiding it within the shadows. Moreover, your purpose should not expose to anyone and need to spy on others. Never think to draw attention to yourself during the gameplay by wearing common clothes. Make use of the “Echo of the Great” feature so that people will never remember you. Ensure that you are writing a special code and it should be decrypted only by the trained readers. Sky proficiencies will include Stealth, Sleight of Hand, Perception, Acrobatics, Forgery kit, and a Disguise Kit.
Importance of Sky
- Spy skill proficiencies will assist to free up the rouge expertise additional options and choose the same as proficiencies.
- Make use of the ability by not drawing anyone’s attention and useful for sneaking around & stealthing.
- Rogues are one of the most popular classes to work much better in the shadows. This is another important part available within the Spy background.
As a survivalist, you are well-versed with the natural world’s outlaws and spend your life in the wilderness. They have an excellent & impressive memory for geography and maps, it is also possible to remember the general lay land. You can get the resources from the lands and easily find freshwater & food for you and as well as five others. Rugged wilderness growth will provide one musical instrument type and proficiencies in Survival & Athletics. Users can learn any other additional language apart from their races’ common language.
Importance of Outlander
- The proficiencies of Outlander are Survival and Athletics will assist users to choose the available ranger proficiencies
- Finding the food twice is another important ability or feature of your ranger’s team. This type will guarantee the environment to utilize the Outlander background.
- Rangers are commonly known as the Party Survivalists for the natural environments. It will pair properly in the wilderness to showcase the Outlander’s ability to navigate well and recall.
As a minor noble, users can defend the land to sworn and give an opportunity to grab a title. A Squire is available to your willing and loyal for followers to obey your orders in constant danger. They are in charge of performing various actions to upkeep for you and mundane tasks. Knight is an expert and proficient in Religion and Athletics. Apart from the common languages, you must know an additional language of your race proficiency or choice.
Importance of Knight
- The proficiencies of Knight are Religion and Athletics and allow other skills to choose by the Paladin proficiencies.
- Users can display the Paladin faith by having the ability to utilize the personal arms coat.
- Paladins are also commonly known as Defenders or Noble guardians of your city or town than soldiers. The minor nobility status of a Knight will protect both the people and as well as the place.
Hermits will spend their time only for prayer and study to tuck away from the world. Contemplation time will assist to create a powerful and unique discovery to a huge impact on a whole campaign or the party. You should discuss or contact the DM (Dungeon Master) to discover the details. Proficiency of Hermits is Herbalism kits, Religion, and Medicine. You can learn any other additional language apart from their races’ common language.
Importance of Hermit
- Proficiency of Hermit is Religion and allows users to choose the best skills for Monk proficiency.
- Hermit implication is another important aspect and also well-suited for their seclusion.
- Apart from these reasons, Monk backgrounds will re-enter into society for creation.
- Monks are commonly living within similar establishments or some secluded monasteries.
- Hermits’ key characteristics are seclusion and sheltering within the real world.
A soldier is well-trained for battles to know how to stay alive within the battlefield and also progress the rankings. It entirely depends on the players’ efficiency. A Player will be recognized by the authority when they are loyal and trustable to the former military organization. You may defer them if their rankings are lower than your rankings. Players can invoke or raise their rank by receiving supplies or assistance from various other soldiers temporarily. A few proficiencies include land vehicles, gaming set type, Intimidation, and Athletics.
Importance of Soldier
- Proficiencies of Soldiers are available in Intimidation and Athletics for allowing users to gain other skills. They can also choose the Fighter proficiencies to use.
- Soldier & Fighter description will always mention their fighting learning and as well as extensive training.
- Players can use them as a good pairing to consider the upbringing of any character
- Fighters are more popular to know the numerous types of combat
- It is commonly available for those working with military backgrounds or soldiers
Acolytes are commonly found only in the temple to spend their time on deity service. There are intermediate characters to act between the mortal and the holy. With the help of “Shelter of the Faithful”, they will respect the other characters who can receive free care & healing. They will also share their faith. By supplying the material components, you can establish a dedicated faith. After tying the strong enough establishment, you can receive or seek assistance from others to complete the tasks. Proficiency of Acolyte in Religion and Insight. Apart from the common race language, they can choose the other two additional languages to learn.
Importance of Acolytes
- Proficiencies of Acolyte in Religion and Insight will allow users to choose the Cleric proficiencies for other skills.
- Players can choose their faith from an establishment with free healing to conserving the personal spell slots.
- Clerics are also commonly known as popular due to their divine powers.
- They will receive extreme powers by spending or working time with a similar establishment or a temple.
The entertainer has a special skill to capture or impress the audience. Make use of your performance to beat them away within the fantastic world. Most of the entertainers will feature their popular demand. Just create a place for your performance to receive free food and lodging after performing. With the help of their performance, even strangers will give a place to recognize. Typically, they will like you by viewing your previous performances. Proficiencies of the Entertainer are Performance skills, Acrobatics, musical instrument type, and disguise kits.
Importance of Entertainer
- Proficiencies of the Entertainer in Performance & Acrobatics for allowing users to select the Bard proficiencies for other skills.
- Players should start practicing on the bard instruments to create an ability to be part of the training class.
- Bards are always smooth party talkers because of their characters and high charisma.
- As per the suggestion, the Entertainer background will have forceful or flamboyant personalities.
DND 5E Backgrounds Importance
Each DND 5E background will offer numerous mechanical advantages depending on the history and backstory flavor. A few different combinations are as follows for your reference:
- The situational social ability or a unique ability
- A collection of starting gear
- One or two languages
- One or two skill proficiencies
This is just a beginning to know the importance of your DND 5E background. It is mostly done with your background to offer numerous flavors. Apart from the mechanics, you can gain the Flaws, Ideals, Bonds, and Personality Traits for each background. It is also advisable to contact the Dungeon Master (DM) for further assistance to know the background importance.
Customizing DND 5E Background
Most of the players will prefer to customize or personalize their own DND 5E background. However, they are not sure how to proceed or follow the basic steps to the background creation. Players will prefer to tweak some basic and efficient features within a background. During that time, it can fulfill your better campaign settings or fits your character. While customizing the background, players can replace their available features with the other one and also select any two skills.
Within the sample background, they choose their favorite languages or two different tool proficiencies to use during the gameplay. According to the 5E Backgrounds reference article, they can utilize the equipment package. It is available within the equipment section by spending coins (gear icon) or choosing an appropriate background. They can choose one flaw, one bond, one ideal, and finally, two personality traits for use. In case if the feature is not available then contact the Dungeon Master (DM) for creating a new feature. After creating the same, you can choose to utilize it within your background.